Friday, December 7, 2012

Workout Reviews: 90-60-30

Workout Reviews:  The Baddest and the Best 
P90X, Insanity, 30 Day Shred

Get fit and fabulous in the comfort of your own home!  After working in several gyms over the years, I have found my favorite gym of all time - my living room.  There is no membership fee, I can wear whatever I want and play my own music, there is no commute, I don't ever have to wait for weights or machines, and the best part is I can bring my dog  :)   

P90X
90 days to a lean, sculpted body
Workout commitment:  6 days a week for 12 weeks, 60-90 minutes a day
$120 + shipping on beachbody.com for 12 DVDs that you rotate through
(You will also need pull up bar and weights or resistance bands or you can order the deluxe package for around $240 that includes it all)

Results:  After following the P90X guide, doing all the workouts and the meal plan for just 30 days, I noticed a change in my body and my strength.  My arms, legs, and abs were getting a little tighter and I felt strength, flexibility, and coordination throughout my whole body.  The workouts alternate between strength and cardio days so some days you spend a LOT of time lifting weights, doing pull ups and strength training, PLUS 15 minutes of abs and the other days are the shorter 60 minute cardio workouts.    

My critique:  When I first started the program, I could barely get through the first workout.  By the end of the first month, I could finish the workouts and was lifting heavier weights than when I started.  The most exciting point for me in the program was when I could complete the 'Ab Ripper X' DVD all the way through without taking a break!  However, it was difficult to 70-90 minutes of working out almost every single day so I was unable to stick with the program.  Also, there were so many pauses in between some of the sets, I felt like I was just standing around or setting up for a lot of it.  I still do some of the DVDs from time to time when I have an entire day off from work.  This is a great program for an athlete or someone that has the time to commit to it wholeheartedly.  It really does work and will get you in the best shape of your life and transform your body, but you need to put in the time.


Insanity
60 days to get in amazing shape and challenge yourself
Workout commitment:  6 days a week for 8 weeks, 30-50 minutes a day
$120 + shipping on beachbody.com for 10 DVDs that you rotate through

Results:  Following the Insanity workouts every day made a HUGE difference in my abs.  The workouts are mostly cardio drills with some strength training with your own body weight (push ups, lunges, squats, etc.)  I noticed major changes in my core as far as definition, strength and balance.  My legs were also much stronger from all the plyometrics.  However, I did not experience the total body toning or muscle gains that I got from P90X, it was mostly just in my legs and abs.              

My critique:  This program was easier for me to stick with because the workouts were not as long and were actually more enjoyable.  They moved quickly and there was not much down time in between exercises.  Overall, I really like Insanity and would highly recommend it for anyone looking to lose weight and get in great shape.


30 Day Shred
30 days to a toned, shredded body
Workout commitment:  6 days a week for 4 weeks, 20 minutes a day
$7-15 on Amazon.com for 1 DVD with 3 workouts

Results:  My results may have been a bit skewed because I began this program right after completing Insanity, but I think this program gave me the best results so far.  My arms, legs and abs are toned and I have lost weight at the same time.  The workouts are only 20 minutes and follow the pattern of 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes cardio, and 1 minute of abs.  It is perfect for people with not a lot of time and short attention spans.  

My critique:  I was a bit skeptical at first wondering how working out only 20 minutes a day could make a difference, but when I could barely make it through the first 20 minute workout, I knew it was delivering results.  The program is easy to stick with because the workouts are short and results happen pretty quickly.  It's a great combination of using weights to gain muscle and tone your body, while shredding fat with cardio and toning the abs in between circuits.  I love this program and have been recommending it to everyone!